Saturday, April 7, 2012

Surprises & 2 TAGs

Back from a short vacation and nice surprises waiting for me when I got home.

  1. My beautiful daughter was home from college.
  2. At the front door - a huge box from Pampered Chef for my daughter, who is now a consultant.
  3. At the back door - a box of 300+ photos from Snapfish for me! (It is SPRING Break and I am going to EAT, SLEEP, SCRAP!)
  4. On the computer - 2 TAGs by Rachel over at A-B- Seymour and Jillian over at Jillian's Just Tinkering Around while out of town.

Here Are The Rules:
* Post these rules
* Answer the 10 questions that the tagger posted for you
* Create 10 questions of your own to ask the people that you're about to tag
* Tag 10 people and link them with your post (and let them know they've been tagged!)


Questions from Rachel:
1. What is your favorite subject to teach?
My favorite time of the day is when I get to teach reading in small groups. I returned back to school in 2008 to get my Master's in Reading. Sometime in the not so near future I plan to leave the classroom to teach Title I Reading again.
2. What is your most embarrassing moment as a teacher?
NO Laughing. I left the teacher's bathroom one afternoon walked in to the office area. The secretary stopped me because my skirt was stuck into the back of my pantyhose! Luckily, there were no men or children anywhere to be seen!
3. What is the most exciting thing you will do this summer?
For sure, a week at the beach where I will spend many hours reading on the beach with my toes in the sand and many more hours riding around on a golf cart with my hunny and kiddos.
HOPING, for 2 tickets to see Kenny Chesney and Tim McGraw in concert.
4. What is your favorite holiday?
I would have to say Halloween. My mom's birthday is October 30th. I was born on her birthday. My husband was born Oct. 26th. So, we always have a huge birthday celebration for the three of us. I also love that it is a holiday without the pressure of buying gifts. The weather is perfect in October also. Fall is my favorite time of the year.
5. What is the most important item you use in your classroom?
The guided reading sets we purchased as a grade level years ago from the Wright Group.
6. What item would you love to have in your classroom?
I would love to have an iPad in the classroom. I think I am getting one soon.
7. What tip would you give to a new teacher?
- love your job. If you don't love what you are doing, do something else.
8. How long have you been a teacher?
Since 1992 - 20 years- oh my!
9. If you weren't a teacher, what would you be doing?
I would probably be working in social services or an activities director for a nursing home.
10. How do you celebrate the end of the school year with your kiddos?
We will be having a class party - most likely with the "Minute to Win It" theme.

Questions from Jillian:
1. Where/What do you teach?
I teach in Davidson County, NC. I teach first grade & LOVE it!
2. What is your favorite font? (I know we all have one!)
During word processing I love Comic Sans. I have a TON I LOVE for scrapbooking.
3. Do you have a favorite grading pen? Or stamp? Or stickers?
My favorite writing pen is Le Pen. I love to color/make charts with Mr. Sketch. I love Stampin' Up Stamps because I like all the sets, instead of individual stamps to mix & match.
4. When does your school get out for Summer?
June 7 or 8th. I am not looking for sure because I don't want to get my eyes on the prize. I just keep chugging along.
5. What is your all time favorite lesson/unit to teach? Why?
Writing - Poetry. The kids always amaze me at what they can come up with. It is so different from any other writing unit that the kids get excited about writing again.
Science - Animals, of course. I am an animal lover and from an early age thought I wanted to be a vet, until I saw some of the things they had to do.
Math - Fractions - I love to integrate FOOD in this unit. YUM!
6. Any guilty pleasures on the weekend? (you read about my embarrassing TV shows....)
I like to sleep late! You can never accuse me of seeing the sunrise on a Saturday. Sunsets are much more colorful!
7. What one thing could you not live without in your classroom?
The guided reading sets we purchased as a grade level years ago from the Wright Group/
8. Favorite piece of technology?
Sorry, hands down, my laptop. I can't live without it!
9. Body wash or soap?
Body wash
10. What does your classroom smell like? Candles? Diffusers? Plug-ins?
Little dirty bodies after recess. We can't use candles or plug-ins. We have a really strict fire
marshall. Not sure what we did to tick them off, but they are strict!


My Questions:
1. Do you have a theme for your classroom?
2. What is one supply you purchase every year for your classroom?
3. What is your favorite group or singer?
4. If you could visit one place in the US, where would it be?
5. How do you find a balance between work and school?
6. What is the newest book you purchased for your classroom?
7. What do you like to read in your free time?
8. McSteamy or McDreamy or McDonald's?
9. Do you have a classroom pet? If so, what kind?
10. What kind of gift do you give your kiddos for the end of the year?

12 comments:

  1. I don't like how the fonts look in the above post. I tried my best to fix them, but I think copying and pasting messed it up. Oh well!
    :)
    Tamera

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for tracking down my blog. Looking forward to following you now!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hoping to do some scrapping too on my Spring Break! I'm your newest follower. :)

    Marissa
    WILD About First Grade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marissa,
      Day 1 of Spring Break down & I have created and published 3 Canvases. Does that count as scrapbooking?
      :)

      Delete
  4. Your daughter is BEAUTIFUL!!! Love that picture! AND, thanks for tagging me! :)I'm YOUR newest follower.
    ~Marie
    www.cotesclass.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie,
      Thank you! The picture of Kaitlyn was taking at my vow renewal in October. She is not only beautiful, but she has a wonderful head on her shoulders! But put her & my 16 year old son together and there is trouble. Last time she came home, the 2 of them put 100s of wiggly eyes on all of the items in my refrigerator. It was too cute!
      :)
      Tamera

      Delete
  5. Comic Sans is my favorite font too! I love the the cute ones too, but I always go back to that font for most of my stuff.

    Enjoy spring break!


    First Grade Delight
    imgoingfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I just say that I literally "laughed out loud" when I read the question about the smell of your classroom. Thanks for supplying me with a little pick me up on this crazy Monday! :)

    Jillian
    Just Tinkerin' Around

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tag :)
    Have a great day!

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the tag Tamera! It made me so excited to see that you enjoy my little blog...I look forward to following you!

    Ellen
    greatfirstgradeexpectations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tag. Will get to it later this week. Just got back from spring break vacation and having a hard time getting back to reality :)

    Shannon
    Tickled to Teach

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tamera,
    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today! So happy to hear from you. THanks for leaving the link to your blog too. I'm your newest follower!! I've been teaching 21 years, so we have quite a few decades between us...UGGGH...did I just say that?! :-) I'm currently teaching 3rd grade in Knoxville. I taught 1st grade for 12 years. Loved it, but DO love 3rd grade too! I am originally from Kentucky. (Wildcats fan!!) I try not to bee too obnoxious about that. lol Don't be a stranger...C'mon back by anytime. Hope you grabbed some freebies! I plan to check out your TpT store tonight! Thanks again,
    Michelle nomonkeybusinessmichelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete