Sunday, March 25, 2012

Landforms

My class has been studying landforms over the course of a week. To end our study we made landform models using a salt dough recipe. I ordered molds from Lakeshore Learning (which is one of my FaVoRiTe stores)! Click here to see the molds.

First, students pressed the dough into the molds.
Second, carefully remove dough by pulling the corners and letting the dough slowly fall out. This takes patience. Then, let the dough dry for several days.
Finally, students can paint and label the landforms. My students LoVeD this activity.
If their landforms cracked like this one, I told the students it was an earthquake.
Hints:
  • Spray molds with lots of cooking spray to make for easier removal.
  • Have parent volunteers work with small groups.
  • Make dough ahead of time or have 1 parent in charge of mixing the dough.

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! It was, but getting the landforms out of the molds takes more patience than I had. Thank goodness for Parent Volunteers!
      :)

      Delete
  2. Those are really cute!

    I love Lakeshore too!

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting my blog and following me. I am following you right back. We are doing all science in my first grade class this quarter so keep watch for more science posts. I just got my silkworm eggs yesterday!

    Tell me more about no craftivities. I'd like to hear what the thinking is as we all want to make our teaching the most enriching possible.

    By the way, I am moving up to 6-8th science next year! I was an architect for almost 20 years in a former life and have only taught for 3 years. So, I'm excited but nervous to move up to middle school. My daughter will be in one of my classes. She is sure to be honest with me!

    Pamela
    First Class Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! Looks like a lot of fun!

    I'm your newest follower :)

    Lindsey

    Lovin’ First Grade

    ReplyDelete