Monday, January 23, 2012

Daily 5 - Listen to Reading - Raz-Kids

Our school adopted the Daily 5 Model this year in all grade levels. If you are not familiar with Daily 5, one of the daily tasks is to Listen to Reading. Students who engage in "Listening to Reading" are hearing fluent readers read good literature, developing better vocabularies, and building their stamina. They ARE becoming better readers.

During Listening to Reading my kiddos choose from 3 activities:
- Listening to Books on MP3 Players (I have 3 SanDisk MP3 Players and 1 iPod)
- Listening to Books on Tape with my very old Tape Players OR
- MY FAVORITE - listening to books on Raz-Kids.com @ the computer.

Raz-kids is a site with leveled interactive books. I am able to set my class up online and assign students books on their independent reading level. They are able to listen to reading, read alone, and record their reading. Most books also have a quiz they can take at the end. My students LOVE this site. Many of them login at home.

Today, because we were studying Chinese New Year, I was able to customize my students' reading assignments so the only books they were able to choose from were ones related to China. In this instance, my goal was NOT for them to be listening to books on their level. Instead, I wanted to expose them to books related to China and relate it to our Social Studies Curriculum.

Click here to find out more about Raz-Kids.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Raz-kids and I love your blog! My blog is all about hearts and I love 1st grade!

    I am your newest follower and would love for you to visit me if you get the chance! I have TONS of *freebies*!

    Heather
    Heather'sHeart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog and followed! Such a cute design! My school started using Daily 5 this year, too. Love! I had never heard of Raz-kids until now. Thanks for sharing! Come see me if you get a chance!

    Peace, Love and First Grade

    ReplyDelete