p - i - rapport - a-t-e
Dave Burgess hit the nail on the head!
We should have techniques in place to avoid behavior battles!
Rapport is the #1 technique.
It is what sets teachers apart in the classroom when it comes to discipline!
In this chapter, Dave Burgess describes how he builds rapport with his students.
What are his suggestions?
- Make connections in your lessons with the lives of your students. This might be their personal interests and/or connections with tv, music, etc
- Get to know your students - what do they like, dislike, find interesting, enjoy doing, etc
- Build the trust of your students.
- Spend time outside the instructional time with your students: lunch, playground, before school, etc.
- Make your classroom a safe, learning environment. He calls this a No - Meanness Zone (pg.25)
- Make your classroom FUN and out of the ordinary!
When you build rapport with your students, they will be hooked!
For a play by play of Dave's first 3 days of school see pages 22 - 32.